The next application cycle begins on February 15, 2022
We will start accepting new applications for the entire year of 2023, on February 15, to October 15, 2022.
- A completed application questionnaire
- An up-to-date vita (no more than 4 pages)
- A brief project description stating what you would do while you are in residence at Dora Maar House, and how much time you would need to be there to accomplish your goal
- Two letters of reference from your supervisor or a colleague supporting your application
- An idea of what you will offer to the Ménerbes community while you are there, i.e. a presentation, a workshop, a reading or performance, etc.
- A photocopy of your valid passport, for non-EU candidates; a photocopy of your I.D. papers for French and EU candidates
- Samples of your work
- $20 application fee
- Applications can be in French or English
- Applications that are not complete by their due dates will not be considered
The admission process
Applications will be reviewed by the Director, the jury, and the board of directors.
You will receive a response to your application roughly two and half months after the deadline.
We assume that there will be more applicants than there will be spaces available and that some applicants, including some strong applicants, will not be accepted.
We cannot comment on applications or give feedback
What do we look for:
- Quality of the project
- Space available in Dora Maar House during the time requested
- Fellowship funding availability
- The applicant’s ability to work independently and to live in a small community of fellows
- The applicant’s ability to represent the Fellows program well
- The applicant’s ability to speak some French
- The dynamics of the residents occupying Dora Maar House at any given time
Frequently Asked Questions
About the application process
How do I start to apply?
- You must apply online through the Slideroom Application Portal. (https://core.slideroom.com) If you already have a Slideroom account, you still have to go through our site to access our Slideroom application portal (but you can use your same log-in information.)
- Be careful that you are applying for the correct active program. There are two fellowship programs that use the same Slideroom Portal.
- Please DO NOT wait until the last minute to complete your application.
Technical problems have arisen in the past with applicants’ internet providers preventing them from meeting the deadline!
- Your application is not deemed complete unless ALL of the supporting documents are submitted with the $20 fee.
- Do not mail the $20 application fee to Dora Maar. This fee is for Slideroom and their services and must be paid online when your application is submitted.
Can I reapply?
- You can reapply. But each time you have to carefully read and go through the application. We change and improve it with each cycle.
- Former Dora Maar Fellows can reapply five years after their last residency period.
My recommenders didn’t get the email from Slideroom?
- Your references will be notified as soon as you COMPLETE your application. They will need time to respond to the email sent by Slideroom. They have one extra week grace period after the application deadline to submit their letter of reference.
- Please alert your referees that an email should be in their inbox as soon as you complete your application. If they do not receive it, ask them to check that it hasn’t been blocked by their SPAM filter. Be extra careful when typing their email address. In the past, some referees did not receive the email request from Slideroom because of a misspelled email address.
- Email us to resend the invitation from Slideroom if they can’t find it.
Can I reuse my references?
- We allow you to reuse reference letters from previous applications for up to two years. Please email us if you wish to do this. Contact
Am I mid-career? Do I qualify?
- The Dora Maar House is not a residency for beginners, anyone still in graduate school, or those just starting their career. Most of our fellows have completed and published at least one work, or had a solo exhibition, or have completed a full-length film, etc. They are professionals established in their field of expertise.
- The best way to see whether you qualify is to look at our current and past fellows.
Is it International?
- Yes, fellows come from all over the world and every field of Arts and Letters. However, applications must be done in English or French, and Fellows must have a basic knowledge of either English or French.
What is the cost of a fellowship?
- There is no cost. We provide Fellows with a daily stipend of $50 a day and we provide a travel allowance to help with their travel costs to and from the House.
- We also provide reasonable shipping costs for materials, i.e., books, research materials, art materials, etc.
- There is a $20 application fee.
How long is the average residency?
- One month. No longer than two months.
Are meals provided to fellows during the residency?
- Fellows have the use of a large fully-equipped communal kitchen for their meals. There is no meal service.
What kind of transportation is available?
- Fellows can bring their own car or rent a car at their own expense. Transportation can occasionally be provided for trips to the market and for medical emergencies. Fellows should understand that daily transportation needs will be largely their own responsibility. There is limited public transportation.
What do you need as a work sample?
- Upload a PDF file in manuscript format, double-spaced, and in an easily readable, 10- or 12-point font.
- Fiction writers: 20 pages maximum.
- Non-fiction writers: 20 pages maximum.
- Poets: 6-10 poems in ONE PDF document. Poets do not need to double-space their submissions. Total sample should not exceed 20 pages.
- Translators: Only those translating work into English or French are eligible to apply. Total sample in French or English should not exceed 20 pages.
- Visual artists: we ask for ten images of your work. Please include explanatory captions, including title, date, size and materials, and any necessary contextual notes.
- Time-based artists and musicians – we ask for two works. The total submission should last no more than 10 minutes. Please include titles, date and any necessary contextual notes.
What do you mean by Community service?
- Though the focus of your residency should be on your own work and project, we ask that each resident behave as ambassadors with our local community. Once a month we require our residents to participate in our Salons, which are informal gatherings open to the public. Please tell us what you might do for the monthly Salons (i.e., a short talk, a reading, performance, studio visit, etc).
What sort of project descriptions do you need?
- Please provide a short description of the project you would like to work on while in residence at the Dora Maar House. Visual artists please discuss your work and artistic or critical goals in a personal as well as a critical context. Limit your project description to 1000 words.
Can I have my spouse, my children and/or my pet with me?
- Though it may be tempting to share Dora Maar House with your loved ones and pets, fellowships are times of intense concentration and focus. For the sake of your time, as well as that of others in the house, we ask that Fellows come to the Dora Maar House alone.
Can we have visitors?
- Yes, for one weekend during your stay. Visitors must share your room with you.
Am I allowed to defer my fellowship?
Can you give me feedback on my application?
- Sadly, we receive too many applications per cycle to give feedback.
- We cannot comment on the status of your application during the selection process.
When will I hear from you about the Fellowship awards?
- We notify applicants of the results roughly two and a half months after the application deadline. We appreciate your patience.
About visiting the houses
How can I visit the houses?
- We are currently offering tours of the ground floor, first floor of the house and garden on Wednesdays and Saturdays at 11AM and 3PM. The tours are 10euros per person and follow sanitary guidelines. If you would like to reserve your tour, contact us at email@example.com. Occasionally, throughout the year the house is partially open during the monthly salons and other special events.
About events and the gallery
There will be one admission cycle each year.
The annual application cycle begins on February 15 and closes on October 15, for residences in the following year from March through November.